State College Bird Club
February 27, 2013
The State College Bird Club met at Foxdale Village on February 27,
2013. Approximately 40 members and guests attended, including
four first-time visitors. Nick Kerlin presided.
• The minutes of the January 13th meeting were read.
• Dorothy Bordner presented the Treasurer’s Report.
• Nick Kerlin noted that election of officers will
take place at the April meeting, and that one more person was needed
for the nominating committee.
• Nick also noted that an additional volunteer was
needed the for the “Bird Day” to be held at Wiscoy Pet Foods on March
• The Bird Club’s board had proposed the purchase a
projector to be used for meeting presentations. Nick requested a
motion to formalize the purchase. The motion was made and passed for a
suitable projector with a purchase price up to $1500.
• Greg Grove read the checklist of species seen
within 25 miles of Old Main since January 13. Some species mentioned
included common and hoary redpolls, a continuing Oregon Junco,
White-winged Crossbills, and a Trumpeter Swan.
• Chad Kauffman is coordinating a field trip to the
Tussey Mountain Hawkwatch on March 10th for the Pennsylvania Society of
Ornithology. State College Bird Club members were also invited.
• Other Field Trips – Joe Verica said there would
tentatively be a bird club trip to Bald Eagle State Park for late
March, and the date would be announced on the mailing list.
The evening’s presentation was by Dr. Paul Bartell, Penn State
Assistant Professor of Avian Biology. His talk was entitled
"Biological Clocks and Bird Migration".
Submitted by Ron Crandall, Secretary.